Friday, October 02, 2009

I am Proud to be American, and I'm not ashamed of it in the least.

This is something that is honestly keeping me awake right now. American pride or lack there of is currently on my brain. It truly makes me uncomfortable that there are American citizens that think it's cool to act as if living here is a terrible thing. REALLY??? Now i know that just being a citizen of the United States DOES NOT make you perfect, or better than anyone else. And I'm also fully aware of the fact the this country is not perfect. Far from it. But I'll be damned of some jackass is going to ridicule me for being proud to be an American.
I think that many people have a misconception that to be patriotic is to act like an ignorant "gun touting redneck" who loves NASCAR. I do not consider myself anything like that last sentence, yet I feel so fortunate to be an American. I route for American sports teams. I'm proud of American innovations. I love the 4th of July. I'm proud to be an American. No one is ever going to make me feel like a fool for being proud of where I'm from.

I know that not everyone feels the same about this as I do, and I also know that some people born here choose to move to other countries for various reasons. All I know is that every year millions and millions of people choose to leave where they're behind to have a chance to feel as lucky as I do, and to have a chance to improve their own lives. I'm VERY proud to live here, and I'm never going to let anyone make me feel bad about it.

No comments: