Thursday, June 25, 2009

What it means to miss something.

It's a strange feeling when you miss something or someone. You can only miss something when it's gone, and there is no exception. It's is possible to miss someone and be in the same room as them, but the reality is the reason you miss them is because in someway they are not part of your life anymore. Hearing the words "I miss you" usually has a somber tone to it at best. Hearing "I missed you" can have a positive tone, and it is often said when someone is returning, and joy is present. Longing for someone or something brings a wide variety of emotions to the table.
I've been missing a few things in my life as of late, but I'm not down about it at all. If anything, I'm confused about why I miss certain things so much when it seems logical that I should not. Sometimes people or things become a bigger part of your life, and when they are not around you miss them more than you'd expect. Does that mean you're weird, or just a wimp? Does it mean that you're normal or nothing at all.? How are you supposed to react when they come back? You don't want to seem too happy, but you also don't want to seem like you don't care. Life is strange sometimes, but I'm grateful that I care about something enough to miss it, even though I know it's not going to be gone for very long.

No comments: