Friday, August 14, 2009

The Evolution of my Musical tastes.

Now, I will start off by stating that I have very very diverse musical tastes, and I don't listen to only one type of music, But I've noticed that what I mainly listened to 5 years ago has changed quite a bit compared to what I listen to now. 5 years ago I mostly listened to 90's rock music acts like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Weezer, ect, but I also listened to a lot of 70's and 80's rock music. I learned to play guitar and drums, and I was starting bands and playing a lot. I was really only interested in guitar driven rock music back then. I still really enjoy that type of music, and I still love those bands, but my ears started to want to hear different things. I got really into any music that had a good melody. Melody is always going to be what's most important to me. Kurt Cobain was a firm believer in the importance of melody over everything else, and I couldn't agree more. I got really into bands like the Goo Goo Dolls, (both their old punk/alternative stuff and their pop music) and The All American Rejects. Bands that really incorporated strong melodies. But I'm also drawn to anything that is unique and completely original. The Pixies are very original and weird, but they also write really good pop songs. One of my favorite bands is the Dave Matthews Band, because of the incredible amount of musical talent that those guys have and the strong song writing. DMB is both unique and original and full of great melody. DMB also opened my ears to types of jazz music, and I'm really happy about that. Jazz is totally American and totally awesome. I listen to so much music these days. Punk rock music, jam rock music, pop, Hip Hop, R&B, classic rock, Jazz, folk, alt-folk, anti-folk, ska, reggae, Metal, you name it. Really my ears are open to anything, but if the music breaks my rules for bad songs, then not so much.

Rules to write bad music.

1 - a chorus that has too many words. *Example, almost anything that Daughtry writes* Lots of amazing songs have little to say in the chorus, such as most Beatles songs.

2 - Trying to hard to be unique and different. You know how sometimes things don't work out because you tried to force it? A lot of songs get turned into crap because of that.

3 - Metal Bands that try to be "Heavy." Now let me try to explain. There is a big difference between being Heavy, and being Metal. "Nothing to say" by Soundgarden, whoooo that song is heavy as heavy gets. "Slave to the Grind" by Skid row, is a Metal song. "Dazed and confused" by Led Zeppelin is heavy, Metallicas "enter sandman" is metal. Metal bands should stick to being metal, and leave the heavy stuff to bands who can actually write it.

All in all, I love music. Music is what drives me, and I feel that listening to many types of music makes me a better musician overall. Do any of you listen to the exact same music that you did 5 years ago? It's okay if you do, but try to listen to other stuff as well. It'll do you some good.

No comments: