Friday, August 28, 2009

I need to learn to be more selfish.

I know that being selfish is not something that one normally tries to be, but I'm really thinking that it's time for me to look into it. For as long as I can remember, I have been sacrificing things to make other people happy. Most of the time I really don't mind, I like making others happy, especially people who are close with me. But I've come to realize that I hardly ever look out for myself. Ever. I'm so concerned with doing what's best for others that I hardly make any effort to get what I really want. I feel that I'm always the one who's trying the hardest, and even though I like being a good person, sometimes I want to put the effort into getting what I really want and not feeling bad about it. Everyone else I know has no problem doing what's best for them, so I think it's time that I do the same. I'm 20 years old, and now is the time for me to start making life better for myself and not being too concerned about how this effects others. Now, I'm not going to become a jerk and stop helping my friends and family when they need me, but I need to start looking out for me. I really don't want to upset anyone in the process, but sometimes that happens when you try to get what you really want. I don't want to upset others because that upsets me, so I'll just have to be careful about how I go about this new task of looking out for me. I know now is the time to start learning how to live and make myself happy.

2 comments:

C. Eldridge said...

i don't know what you are talking about... i've always thought you were incredibly selfish

Simply Valorie said...

You're right, you have to make yourself happy. Though, and this is just a thought, someone famous once said along the lines of "you find happiness and help yourself through helping others." You should think about yourself more, but be careful not to take it too far or you'll find yourself more miserable than before.